The Sound Map Project aims to create a visual and audio representation of contributions to Wikimedia projects from the Canadian community in all its diversity. Anyone residing in Canada can take part in the language of their choice. All you need to do is send us a sound file of maximum 3 minutes in which you describe your participation experience. Deadline to send us the file: March 31, 2024.
This project is part of the website linked to the publication of the work Open culture and Wikimedia movement in Canada, to be published by Presses de l’Université de Montréal in 2024 (manuscript submitted). Our project is to produce a sound map presenting, on the territory of Canada, testimonies from contributors to the various Wikimedia projects.
The recordings sent to us will be integrated into a map based on technology developed by OpenStreetMap.
How to participate
Register in the language of your choice. You have a maximum of three minutes.
Send us your audio file and the requested information by email to email@example.com. Please respect the format below.
- Register in the language of your choice. You have a maximum of three minutes.
- Send us your audio file and the requested information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please respect the format below.
You can participate while remaining anonymous.
Use the “Dictaphone” application which is installed by default on your phone or computer to save the file. Leave two seconds of silence at the start of the recording, then:
- Start by mentioning the “geographical location where you reside” (city, village or region and province or territory)
- You can then answer one or more of the following questions:
- To which Wikimedia project(s) do you contribute?
- How did you start contributing?
- What are your motivations for contributing?
- What are the main subjects of your contributions?
- Leave two full seconds of silence at the end of the recording.
Make sure your file does not exceed 10 MB.
File name and other information to provide, please respect this format
- The file must be named as follows:
- City/village name + a project you are contributing to + date + time
- Examples: WinnipegWikidata202311081528 or OttawaCommons202311090908 or TroisRivieresWikipedia202311071439
- No accent, no space, no dash (-).
- Must respect the CamelCase principles: the first letter of each word in capitals.
Metadata to provide
The email message must include contextual information (metadata) that will be associated with your testimonial:
- List the Wikimedia project(s) to which you contribute.
- List the language(s) in which you contribute.
- Your geographic coordinates (required)
- Full decimal coordinates can be obtained at coordinatees-gps, #map=11/49.8946/-97.1466 OpenStreetMap or GeoHack
- Example: for Winnipeg – 49.8955367,-97.1384584
The license that will be applied to your recording is as follows: Creative Commons BY-SA 4.0.